Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Stuck in Riverside!

Well, Aedyn and I are "stuck" in Riverside. Not really, but we are unable to return home without a functioning vehicle. Last Thursday I came to Riverside with Aedyn to visit with my Mom, I was coming anyway the next day, but thought I would help out my Mom with a few things. Then on Friday Shane took off early so we could surprise Kathy for her birthday with a nice dinner! The surprise didn't come out as planned (leaving communication up to the menfolk will almost always get the wires crossed), but nonetheless Kathy was still surprised. Saturday was a nice day of a walk to Starbucks in the morning, a nice drive to Redland's to eat Cuca's Mexican food in the park, then back to Kat and Jon's for a lovely dinner cooked by my mother in the evening! We finished the night with some games and headed off to bed. The next morning we planned to head home, both of us having our cars, but there was a glich in the plan. I drove Jon and myself to the donut shop, and on the way the car, Kia Amanti, started acting up. This similar event happened to us Christmas a few years ago on the way to my brother's. I would push on the gas and nothing would happen and then all of sudden it would zoom into gear. When coming to a stop the car would idle and start shaking because the RPM's were at 3-4 while stopped. We safely made it back to Kat and Jon's, donuts in hand, and then Shane took a look at it. The car smelled of gasoline, and as he drove it around the block white smoke came out of the tailpipe. He parked it back on the curb, we called around trying to find a mechanic open on Sunday, that was a joke, and then finally decided to have it towed to the nearest KIA dealership. Shane followed in our other car, dropped of the keys, came back loaded up the Montero with his stuff and headed home. The service department opened the next morning and called to confirm our car troubles, but did not get around to running tests until late Monday afternoon. They said they needed to run a second test, but did not get around to that until about 10:30 Tuesday morning. I waited around for a call to get the results and the diagnosis, but no one called so I called myself and they said, and I quote" the technician said the readings were weird from the engine compression test" and that they were waiting to hear from the KIA technician they called earlier, and basically they have no idea what is wrong with the car, but just that it is not running correctly. I am so upset about this, so I have to wait another day. But, if they don't fix it by tomorrow then I will have to buy a rental car to get home, because we have an extremely important appointment Thursday morning! We decided for me to stay because we thought they might have a diagnosis and started fixing it by now, but it doesn't look promising.

Our appointment is our first office visit with our social worker doing our post-placement paperwork for our adoption! This is so very exciting, because everything is moving towards finalizing the adoption, the tribe still has not taken the next step.

The worst part about all of this is Aedyn and I are in Riverside and Shane is in Simi. This Sucks! Shane misses Aedyn like crazy, he misses me too, but this is the first time he has been away from Aedyn since he was born. He is lonely and bored, we miss our family of 3 being together! Even though we have been in a diffferent place Aedyn has been a real trooper, the only thing is I think he misses sleeping in his crib, we have a packn'play but it is not the same, he's a little more fussy in the morning than usual.

The best part about being stuck in Riverside is I have been staying with my sissy and Jon, and Heather,(Jon's sis) too. I always feel welcome at their house, but they have been so wonderful with putting up with me and all my stufff. Hey when you travel with a baby, they come with a lot of stuff! I have really enjoyed spending some extra quality one-to-two(me and Aedyn being the two) time with Kat. She mentioned this is the most time she has been around a baby consistently and she thinks it's cool. Kat is a wonderful Aunty, and she pitches in with spit-up, poopy diapers, and playtime all with a smile on her face. In my opinion, my sissy will make a beautiful mother!!!

So that has been my long extended weekend. We are ready to go home! And say goodbye to Riverside, at least until we have to drive back and pick up the other car once it's been fixed!

Oh, and I would normally post pics, because I know everyone wants to see them, but it will have to wait a couple more days!

No comments: