Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Grandma's Potato Soup

A favorite staple dinner in our household is Grandma's Potato soup, that is my maternal grandma. Truly there is nothing special about the ingredients that goes into it, potato, onion, canned milk, butter, salt and pepper, but it is the memory that it invoked everytime it is made. I remember sitting at grandma's kitchen counter watching her make this soup, while we all just chatted away. This was a meal never to be eaten at the table, most of us would eat it sitting in the stools at the counter (the ones she endlessly reminded us not to lean back in) and Grandma would eat it in the kitchen leaning over the counter. Grandma would never use a knife and cutting board, always a paring knife to peel and cut the potatos. Now me, I am not so talented, (and less patient) so I use a peeler and a big vegetable knife with a cutting board to get it done faster. The funny thing is it was always a crap shoot whether or not the soup would be too salty. I have learned to let people salt their own bowl and use chicken bouillion in the boiling water to give flavor instead. Grandma would always eat hers with crushed up saltine crackers, that woman loved salt!!!

The reason for writing this random post is because I just shared a bowl with Aedyn for lunch today. He loved it! Of course it evoked a beautiful memory of sharing this traditional, non-elegant meal with my Grandma Baird!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh potato soup...this is one dish i will eat that is all about potatoes...yummy!
nee, email me the recipe!
i miss her...

Anonymous said...

I really liked this post, Dee, brought a smile to my face.

Anonymous said...

And years from now you will make this soup with your grandchildren. A lovely tradition for years to come.