Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Walking Poetry

Life with children is absolutely amazing. I have worked with and cared for children a lot in my life and I love teaching children and seeing the light bulbs turn on, but it is so different so see your child evolve every minute of his life. It is miraculous, it truly is!

Aedyn is doing pretty well with potty training. He has his good days and bad days; bad days come usually when out of his element. Right now we are trying the timed effort, meaning we are trying to take him to the potty before he goes in his pants, by taking him about every 3o minutes, in which he goes every time we sit him on the pot. He is still learning how to recognize the feeling before actually going, but if he does go in his pants, he says something right away and starts heading to the bathroom, so we are progessing. This is why they call it potty "training", right?

Connor is walking! Not exclusively, but he can definitely toddle his way around the house quite easily now. I still haven't caught him on camera yet, he's a little unpredictable. But we are so proud, Shane and I both got to see his first 4 steps together. You should see the look on his face when he walks, it's as if he is flying! He is so pleased with himself.

Here comes a little pat on the back for Shane and I, tonight we dicussed poetry with our children during dinner. Yep, you heard me, Poetry! Aedyn can recite several poems. And Connor follows along with certain poems and acts them out with us by making noises and movements with the words. It blew us away when I started reciting a poem and Aedyn jumped right in and finished the lines. The poems I am talking about are not your average nursery rhymes. We are so proud.

So, I will leave you with a poem the boys practice reciting that is appropriate for today's weather:

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor You.
But when the leaves hang trembling
The wind is passing through.

Who has seen the wind?
Neither You nor I.
But when the trees bow down their heads
The wind is passing by.

by Christina Georgina Rossetti

No comments: