Monday, November 10, 2008

Early Labor

Yesterday, after walking in the Thousand Oaks Mall it seemed that my labor was beginning. I began feeling contractions, and a lot of pressure in the pelvis. We continued to walk and everyone, Shane, Nina and Brian, who conveniently for us were hanging out with us for the day, began timing the contractions. They seemingly began to get closer together but not very intense. We made our way home, and Shane decided we needed to go to the hospital to check out if my cervix has changed at all from last Wednesday and if indeed I was in labor.

Nina and Brian stayed with Aedyn, (which to tell the truth I was not prepared to leave him at that point), and Shane and I went to the hospital. They hooked me up to the fetal and contraction monitor, and checked my cervix. Baby was doing well, and my cervix was closed and a tiny bit softened, not much though. I was not really contracting at first on the monitor, and then I started contracting about every 10 minutes at about a 2-3 intensity level. The nurse checked me again after an hour and nothing changed so they sent me home.

I was tired and still contracting. We went to bed but I had to get up and take a bath to relax, it seemed to work and I went back to bed, still slightly contracting but was able to fall asleep. I ended up being able to sleep, but having anxious dreams. When I woke up I was not contracting and have had only about 2-3 noticeables ones so far.

I still have my appointment on Wednesday, but the nurse said to go to the hospital if my water broke, if I was bleeding, or if my contractions because closer and more intense. She said if that does not happen by Wednesday, that my doctors usual protocol is to admit me to the hospital that night after my appointment, give me cervadil to soften and thin the cervix, and then induce me with pitocin the next morning.

Last night was a practice run, and hopefully I will not have to be induced. I am going to go out today to walk again. Finally I am feeling anxious and ready!

No comments: